| |
hzink
|
I just spent a few times in Udon Thani for a harvest festival, and figured I would try Nok Air, just for kicks -- well, also they were about half of what Thai would charge for the same trip, and I was looking forward to flying on what I thought would be crop dusters for that price. I booked by calling them up, gave them my departure and return dates - they asked me for my mobile number, and I was pleasantly surprised to receive an SMS confirmation of my trip information. Also, as I read up, Nok Air is using/leasing/renting planes from Thai - so essentially, I figured, I would be flying Thai. No crop dusters this time. Departure at 4:30pm - be at airport 1 hour before departure. I step in the taxi at 2:30pm, only to find myself stuck in the worst bkk traffic jam - which cleared up for the tollway, then got stuck again, then cleared up again, then got stcuk at the airport inroad -- turns out the 'arrivals' traffic screwed everything, but I finally made it to the check-in counter at 4:15pm. "I'm screwed," I'm thinking to myself, "but what the heck - mai ben rai". The sign on the counter reminded me that check-in counter closes 30 minutes before departure, but I thank the cute TG at the counter that still takes me in and processes my ticket, only to suggest "Please, go gate 8 immediately, kah!" I thank her profusely for what I thought was bending the rules, when, really, she was just complying with her rules I rush to the gate (just five minutes, thankfully), and find myself in a packed room, at the end of a long line... waiting, and waiting, and waiting.... 4:25pm 4:30pm 4:40pm Nothing moves. I go to the front of the line, find the nice TG at the boarding counter, look on the display which lists boarding time as '16:30' (5:00pm for you yanks), and ask the TG when boarding is supposed to happen. She looks at me with a big smile, points to the board, and says : "Please, look boarding time on board, kah!" I look, only to see the same '16:30' shining back at me. I look back at her, point to the board, and indicate to her by showing the current time: "I look at board, no help. Please?" She keeps smiling at me, glances over to board, her eyes open up a bit, but without losing a blink turns to me, her fingers feverishly working her keyboard, and repeats: "Please, look boarding time on board, kah!" I look, and now it brightly shines back to me - '17:00'. She smiles. I smile more, finding the situation comical in a good way. She grins back that she 'got it', and I 'khop khun krap' her. 4:45 4:55 5:05 The board still says '17:00'. 5:10 5:15 I approach the bench. She sees me. I smile. She smiles. "We boarding plane now, sir, kah! Please go on plane." Seriously, I just love moments likes these, but on to the actual nitty-gritty! Get on board. Well, take one of those shuttle buses that I'm used to from Airports in Europe in the 70s. Nice bit of nostalgia. Get on the plane. Find my seats. Nice, comfortable. The inside is all 'Thai Airways', same seats, same colors. Comfortably wide seats. Comfortable legroom. We take off. Nothing eventful. Get to altitude. The flight lasts 45 minutes or so, so nothing exciting here. They serve us some refreshment - 20 baht for a drink, water, etc... No big deal - it's a no frills airline, and I consider drinks to be frills, and it's not something I depend on for survival on a 45 minute flight. (skip two days in udon thani fighting food poisoning - more on that in a separate FR) On the day of my return flight, which was booked for 2:00pm, I receive a call from Nok Air around 12:00, informing me that my flight was canceled - and that I am now booked on the 6:00pm flight. Got to the airport at 5:00pm, check in, get boarding passes, wait 30 minutes for boarding, get back on plane.... and wait... We ended up spending an extra 30 minutes waiting for more people to board. Finally, get on the road. Order some nam yen (20 baht), land in BKK. Uneventful. One thing to note - apparently no taxi louts on the domestic terminal. Summary: Nok Air is overall a pleasant experience, inexpensive just don't depend on them for time sensitive travel. Worked for me for short hop flights! As always, YMMV! Harry
|
Bangkok Girls : Meet Attractive Thai Girls
Posted on: 7:34 am on Dec. 12, 2004
|
|
Vancouver Jay
|
Quote: from hzink on 7:28 pm on Dec. 12, 2004 One thing to note - apparently no taxi louts on the domestic terminal.
Another thing to note - frequently no taxis at night at the domestic terminal. The f***ers all swarm to the international because they get better tips and are more likely to get a fare back to the airport. So learn about the airport buses.
|
Bangkok Women : Meet Sensual Bangkok Women
Posted on: 6:38 am on Dec. 14, 2004
|
|
BigDUSA
|
hzink, Not trying to nit pick but 1630 is 4:30 for us yanks and 1700 is 5PM. Nine years in the US Army will do that to you.
|
Thai Girls : Meet Sexy Thai Girls
Posted on: 7:02 am on Dec. 14, 2004
|
|
| |
|