| |
BlueNote
|
Greeting. Here is a very long review of Rex Hotel, which is at the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 32 and opposite Soi 49. At a fast walking pace, it is 20 minutes from Soi Cowboy. Reservation/Rate: We (my two buddies, my companion, and I) made the reservation over the telephone while in BKK. The rate was 880 THB/night for a standard room, single or double occupancy. The rate is the same as what I have seen posted on the Internet. The receptionist at the other end of the telephone wanted to know if we were Thai or foreigners; one my of buddies thought Thai guests would receive a lower rate. I do not know if this is true, but he did live in BKK for several years during the 90s. Upon check-in, we realized that daily breakfast is free for one guest per room; the second guest has to pay for breakfast. Check-in/Check-out: The check-in process involved the usual of filling out a form to state where we live and where we came from and showing our passports for photocopying. I had a Thai companion, but she was not required to provide ID. It seems that they were only interested in the IDs of foreigners. Unlike my stays in other hotels in LOS and abroad, this is the first hotel in my experience that did not ask for a advance payment, deposit, or credit card information. How trusting. Oh, I believe one of the managers could speak (the Chinese dialect) Foochow. The check-out process was less than one minute. I was quite impressed given that they were using a Thai typewriter to update the invoice. By the way, they also used the typewriter to print the guest names on the food vouchers. I thought this was cool, but my buddies thought the process was outdated and time consuming. Room: My two buddies took one room with two twin beds, while my companion and I took the opposite room with a double/queen bed. The rooms and furniture were relatively old, but it was clean and big. There was a large old fridge containing two bottles of water, which were provided free daily. There was no in-house safe. The air conditioning unit had four settings, off, low, medium, and high. We were either too cold or too hot, and I found myself getting out of bed frequently to turn on/off the unit. It was also quite noisy. The rooms are not adequately soundproofed. Early in the morning we could hear the maids talking, and they were at least ten metres away from our room. They were polite and friendly but just too chatty before starting to work. The lack of soundproofing also meant my companion had to kept her voice down when we had fun, and this was not easy. Food/Restaurant: As mentioned above, breakfast was free for one guest per room. The voucher (s) could be picked up at night or in the morning. Our breakfasts consisted of cup of coffee or tea, two eggs, two slices of ham, and two pieces of toast. I believe you can order something different, but I didn’t tried. Avoid asking for more toasts or refill on the drink as you will have to pay more. This breakfast meal would cost 200+ THB. That’s very high in my opinion. In fact, my companion and I had small lunch on the second day, and our tab was about 700 THB. By the way, the restaurant is opened 24 hours, which is nice because after barhopping very late, I would require a shot of caffeine before continuing the fun in my room. Security: Our rooms were on the third floor, and there was a security guy just outside the elevator. I am not sure what he does, but we often found him sleeping or watching television. He basically ignored us, which was what I like. Other Amenities: The hotel has a pool, but I did not check it out. They seem to have a computer in the lobby for Internet surfing, but I believe you have to pay to use it. Like many other hotels in LOS, they can arrange tours or tickets to events, but I will recommend against asking them for such information. My buddies made the mistake of asking, and they ended up receiving numerous telephone calls. They were also asked every time they walked past the receptionist area. Special Services: Perhaps it is because my buddies always returned to the hotel empty handed, they were constantly asked if they wanted massage or other services. During my buddies’ last day at the hotel, six ladies were sent up for them. This was about 5 PM. I happened to be there when they knocked at the door. Their ages ranged from early 20s to late 30s. The younger one caught my attention. She was quiet, seemed relatively shy, and had a nice smile. She was standing the farthest, while the leader of the pack was talking to us. If we weren’t leaving for dinner and if my companion wasn’t showering in the opposite room, I might have selected her. Pity. Anyway, it took us a minute or two to convince them that we were indeed going out for dinner, but they were quite polite and apologetic. I suspect that their "handler" gave them false expectations. My companion did have a late-night Thai massage session during the second night. I was going to have an oil massage at the same time, but I was told that I had to wait a bit for them to arrange a person. For my companion’s one-hour session, the cost was 400 THB, but maybe more... I cannot remember. Other Notes: If you are traveling alone and going to the airport, you can catch an airport bus from a nearby bus stop. The fee is 100 THB per person, and the trip takes 30 minutes, but I do not know if this is true at peak hours. Next to the hotel, there is an establishment that provides massage and BJ. We, including my companion, went in to check it out. It was around 3 PM, and perhaps this would explain the few selection of ladies. There were about ten ladies, who appeared to be in their mid or late 30s, sitting in a small room that had a large clear window. Because I personally did not speak to the manager, I have no actual pricing information. I believe it is around 1500 THB. If anyone knows the correct price, please correct me. Anyway, because I didn’t like the price, we left and went to a nearby regular massage parlor, Aroma Spa, a.k.a. Gucci Spa, which I would not recommend. : ( They tricked us by telling us that they had enough staff to give all four of us Thai or foot massage treatments at the same time, but they didn’t and my companion was left having to wait for us. I wasn't aware of this until after my Thai massage. The price was also strange in that foot massage was more expensive than Thai massage. Final Thought Next time when I am in BKK, I will likely stay at Rex because I found the staff much nicer than some of the higher priced hotels, but then again, they didn’t bothered me with telephone calls. Cheers, BN
|
Thai Girls : Meet Sexy Thai Girls
Posted on: 11:52 pm on Nov. 7, 2005
|
|
|
|
|
|
Skip
|
Nice review. The establishment that offered BJ and massage was probably Chavalla- at soi 34- which is on the same side of Sukh. Do they offer a ST rate?
|
Bangkok Girls : Meet Sexy Bangkok Girls
Posted on: 4:32 am on Nov. 8, 2005
|
|
tilac
|
Hi, Can agree with BueNote's story, Ive been there (only for 1 night) with one of my GIKs also last yr and its not too bad. I know they charge more to foreigners then to Thais, I paid 800 Baht, my GIK told me Thais pay 500 Baht per day, LOL. Rooms are ok for ST activities, but make sure you get a room somewhere in the back and not near Suk rd. I dont remember being asked for id so they are used to (ST) visitors poppin in. Cheers Tilac
|
Thai Women : Meet Matured Thai Women
Posted on: 5:41 am on Nov. 8, 2005
|
|
| |
|