| |
haraplang
|
Guys, just a question on Mandarin Hotel (not the Mandarin Oriental). I can't get a straight answer from any of the maps, but how far is it to the nearest MRT station, it seems to be somewhere between the two. Is it much of a walk? Also, it doesnt appear to be GF from what I've seen but if anyone has any feedback on it, and as to the rooms as well, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
|
Bangkok Girls : Meet Attractive Thai Girls
Posted on: 12:16 am on April 19, 2007
|
|
NicFrenchy
|
if you hit the search button, type "Mandarin" in the hotel section, there are 3 threads and enough information to answer your questions. no need to create a new thread
|
Bangkok Women : Meet Sensual Bangkok Women
Posted on: 2:24 am on April 19, 2007
|
|
Bimlee
|
I will try to answer your questions,because I stayed there. BTS is certainly walking distance, one which is facing the hotel. I booked a double room, and they did not charge me for that. But, it is not a girlfriendly hotel as such. I did not see too many people bringing birds with them. My girl came from Eden, I had informed at the reception about it. Lots of Japanese guest can be seen in the hotel. Hotel is not new, not a great comfort as such. Is this inf. enough ?
|
Thai Girls : Meet Sexy Thai Girls
Posted on: 12:40 pm on April 20, 2007
|
|
Jolly Roger
|
The Mandarin Hotel on Rama IV Road was the hotel I stayed at when I first started going to Bangkok. At that time, not knowing any better I booked a package tour and there was a small choice of hotels. Most, such as The Oriental, Shangi-La and Dusit Thani were out of my price range. At that time I knew nothing of Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza or the concept of joiner charges. I chose the Mandarin because it appeared to be somewhere in between the river (for sightseeing), Siam Square (for shopping) and Patpong (for night-time). This was 1995 and therefore no skytrain. I also knew nothing about how tortuous walking any distance in Bangkok’s heat can be. I stayed at the Mandarin several times up until 2002, but for various reasons had never taken a lady back there, so hadn’t tested the hotel’s friendliness. It was the last night of my March 2002 trip and I couldn’t resist a delightful lady in Superstar on Patpong I. When I rolled up to reception at the Mandarin, another punter was already having an almighty row about paying a joiner charge. Being my last night I didn’t want to spoil the mood, so I paid up the 500 Baht without so much as a squeek. After arriving back at the room, first the phone rang and then someone arrived at the door “to check if I had 2 ladies in room”. Needless to say, I would never stay there again. Since then a new MTR (underground) station has opened at Samyan about 5 minutes walk, from the Mandarin. The nearest BTS Skytrain station is at Saladaeng a good 15 minutes walk from the Mandarin, especially if you have to fight your way past the T shirt sellers blocking the pavements of Silom Road. There is nothing of interest around the Mandarin, it is even quite difficult to find a 7-11 type shop nearby. The shop I used previously on Si Phraya Road was closed the last time I passed (May 2005). The hotel itself has quite a grand lobby and you don’t have to look very closely to see how shabby the hotel has become. Take a look at the worn lobby carpet, for instance. The Krua Lunag Restaurant used to be very popular with local Thais and was often packed on a weekend, but not anymore. I still go to this restaurant, for nostalgic reasons, I really don’t know why, it is just part of the “being back in Bangkok” experience for me. Soon I hope to kick this ‘habit’. If you look at Asia Travel’s page (http://www.asiatravel.com/mandarin/index.html) for the Mandarin it says “Recently, we have renovated our 400 rooms and suites…”. I am pretty sure that this statement has been there, since the days when I used to stay at the Mandarin. The rooms did not look ‘recently’ refurbished then. So, as they say haraplang, Up to you!
|
Bangkok Girls : Meet Sexy Bangkok Girls
Posted on: 8:42 am on April 21, 2007
|
|
cheapcharlie
|
The Bts is quite close but I like walking anyhow, stayed there about 3 yrs ago. Grande type of hotel but very shabby looking and the worst of all no airco in the lounge. Patpong is a stroll away. Came in on a 12 hr flight at 8 in the morning and almost died from the heat waiting for a room to be available. Would not stay there again from choice,it was a complimentary with flight so WTF.
|
Bangkok Girls : Meet Attractive Thai Girls
Posted on: 9:18 am on April 21, 2007
|
|
haraplang
|
Thanks a lot for the information, guys. I especially appreciate the comprehensive reply, Roger.
|
Bangkok Women : Meet Beautiful Thai Girls
Posted on: 8:19 pm on April 22, 2007
|
|
PussyLover 69
|
Report from The Nation dated Wednesday 5 September 2007 :- Gutted Mandarin Hotel on Rama IV Road ============================== Fire broke out at The Mandarin Hotel on Rama IV Road in Bangkok, damaging the buidling and injuring many tourists. The Polish Embassy is located in Soi Sukhumvit 5 of Bangkok's Watana District The incident took place at around midnigh when the blaze began on the second floor of the hotel's second building and spread to other floors where tourists were trapped. The hotel consists of two building - the first seven-storey building and the other 14 storey building. There are 372 buildings in total. The fire damaged the building and the links between the building on the 7th and 8th floor were collapsed, making it difficult for rescue staff. A lot of tourists have been evacuated from the buildings but some people were still trapped in the building. The blaze has not yet been under control by the press time. An initial report said the fire took place in the vacant room on the second floor that was under renovation.
|
Bangkok Girls : Meet Attractive Thai Girls
Posted on: 8:59 pm on Sep. 4, 2007
|
|
| |
|